Since I was young I've participated in Summer Reading at the local library (with a long break in college and graduate school- no time to read anything but textbooks then) and now with my girls look forward to summer for some enthusiastic reading. This summer's theme is One World, Many Stories (albeit a little cheezy but not too bad). The girls and I have started reading in earnest. Kate is up to 21 books (with many minutes added in rereading them).
So I've picked up a few books thus far this summer that I'd like to recommend.
The first is God's Smuggler. It is the life story of Brother Andrew, a Protesant missionary, who was called to bring the Word of God behind the Iron Curtain after World War II. I heard about it from this post from Conversion Diary. I don't often read non-fiction in my 'freetime' it just seem exhausting when I'm exhausted to try and think. But I must say I really enjoyed it and recommend it.
Kate has been on a Laura Ingalls Wilder kick. She really enjoys the easy reader versions of the Little House Series. Her favorites are the stories taking place in the Big Woods of Wisconsin. Because of this recent interest of hers I discovered another famous Wisconsin girl, Caddie Woodlawn. This young tomboy has adventures with her brothers around their home in Northern WI. I enjoyed each little tale of this young girl's journey to adulthood. After finishing it I found out that the Dunn County Historical Site keeps the Woodlawn home at a wayside near Menomonee and that there is a sequel. I am looking forward to reading these books with Katie and Julia eventually. There are even paper dolls of Caddie to print and play with at home.
Finally, a friend of mine read and recommended The Noticer. I read this book in one Sunday afternoon. It was one of those books that I wanted to read excerpts to my husband and say, "Listen to this...isn't it great?" (I tried to at one point but he fell asleep shortly into one chapter.) There were countless times that the lessons for living shared resonated with my experience.
Currently, I am listening to The False Princess on CD, so far, SO GOOD!
No comments:
Post a Comment