Saturday, March 3, 2012

Heaps of Love (a reflection on today's gospel)

Matt. 5 43-48

While struggling with some 'mean girls' in high school my mom once gave me the sage advice to heap kindness on them.  In other words, regardless of the hurt what they say and do cause you just continue to be kind.  This strategy in my world is also known as "Kill 'em with kindness" and I likened it at the time to heaping coals on your 'enemies' head. 

This is certainly not an easy thing to do and in doing so the revenge outcome (of hot coals) is short lived because the work of being kind (loving another) is transforming.  Not only does it have the power to transform the relationship but perhaps more importantly it has the power to transform the lover.  Like in  today's gospel Christ tells us that our enemies may be fit to hate but WE are not.  Hating hurts us!

My mom's advice put into practice (and the gospel message lived out) have been proven in my life.  Even those who hurt us may come to love us.  And even if they don't...we are still meant to love and be transformed.

(I have been trying to read the daily gospels for Lent.  This was a reflection I wrote in my prayer journal and thought I'd post it here.  And good is the work of the Holy Spirit.  Any fault found here is mine. Lenten Blessings!)

1 comment:

Monica said...

Thank you. Lenten blessings to you as well!