(Mom, take a picture of the book I'm reading, too!)
1. Favorite childhood book?
Caps for Sale, Blueberries for Sal and The Little Engine That Could
2. What are you reading right now?
The Year and Our Children Mary Reed Newland, The Name of This Book is Secret Pseudonymous Bosch, Four Witnesses- The Early Church in Her Own Words (Clement of Rome, Ignatius of Antioch, Justin Martyr, Irenaeus of Lyons) Rod Bennett, The Amish Way Kraybill Nolt and Weaver-Zercher
3. What books do you have on request at the library?
Chains by Laurie Halse Anderson
4. Bad book habit?
Leaving them open pages down rather than marking the page- my librarian mom says that's not good for a book.
5. What do you currently have checked out at the library?
6. Do you have an e-reader?
No.
7. Do you prefer to read one book at a time or several at once?
Several.
8. Have your reading habits changed since starting a blog?
A little. I hear about books through blogs and want to read more so I've started a list of books I want to read.
9. Least favorite book you read this year?
Can't think of one off the top of my head. I often don't finish the ones I don't like.
10. Favorite book you’ve read this year?
Hard to say, nothing stands out.
11. How often do you read out of your comfort zone?
Rarely. Though I have tried to challenge myself to read a few books I probably wouldn't have in the past. Or is this talking about the zone that you're comfortable reading in I guess then I'd say often, I read in a variety of places.
12. What is your reading comfort zone?
My comfort zone of reading is my rocking chair. My favorite genre is fiction.
13. Can you read on the bus?
Yes, but I don't ride buses as often as I used to.
14. Favorite place to read?
Outside (on the deck, in the yard, in the deerstand etc.)
15. What is your policy on book lending?
I lend out freely, but easily lose track of who has what. There are some books I don’t lend out because I like to have them around for reference or whatever.
16. Do you ever dog-ear books?
Seldom.
17. Do you ever write in the margins of your books?
Yes, especially non-fiction and spiritual reading.
18. Not even with text books?
I don’t tend to mark up textbooks.
19. What is your favorite language to read in?
English
20. What makes you love a book?
Many things-- great ideas, an insight into truth, poetic language, soaring prose, irresistible characters, wit, gripping plot. Some combination of those or else something that I just can’t think of right now. (Alicia's answer who stole Melanie’s answer for this one because it’s absolutely perfect and better than I could have said it.)
21. What will inspire you to recommend a book?
Usually I'd say the Spirit inspires me.
22. Favorite genre?
Fiction
23. Genre you rarely read (but wish you did)?
Non-fiction
24. Favorite biography?
Hmm, haven't read one that comes to mind.
25. Have you ever read a self-help book?
Yes.
26. Favorite cookbook?
The New Best Recipe from the Editors of Cook's Illustrated (It's actually my husband's)
27. Most inspirational book you’ve read this year (fiction or nonfiction)?
The Year and Our Children- Catholic Family Celebrations for Every Season really has been inspiring me to bring the Church Year's celebrations into our family life and to be a more faithfilled mother. A Mother's Rule has done the same in bringing a spiritual dimension into my life as a mom.
28. Favorite reading snack?
Peanut butter suckers (aka peanut butter by the spoonful)
29. Name a case in which hype ruined your reading experience.
I can't think of one
30. How often do you agree with critics about a book?
Sometimes. It depends on the critic.
31. How do you feel about giving bad/negative reviews?
I haven't done much reviewing positive or negative other than personally with family and friends.
32. If you could read in a foreign language, which language would you choose?
Probably Latin.
33. Most intimidating book you’ve ever read?
The Bible, God's Word is intimidating but that's not bad, its called awe!
34. Most intimidating book you’re too nervous to begin?
Well I've begun Kirsten Laverendsdaughter but I've been too intimidated to finish it.
35. Favorite poet?
Jessica Powers (as an aside, we recently picked this one up at the library for the second time and I REALLY want to look up some more poetry by Christina Rossetti)
36. How many books do you usually have checked out of the library at any given time?
It’s usually 20-30.
37. How often have you returned books to the library unread?
Very often.
38. Favorite fictional character?
Nancy Drew (I know, not a lot of depth there but its all that's coming to me at the moment)
39. Favorite fictional villain?
I don’t know off the top of my head.
40. Books I’m most likely to bring on vacation?
Preferably small paperbacks but I must admit that in the past I've brought whatever I'm reading at the time. This however is not encouraged by the airlines as all baggage must be within a certain area and weight. ;-)
41. The longest I’ve gone without reading.
Not long. Maybe a few days without reading a book?
42. Name a book that you could/would not finish.
I've picked up a few in adult fiction that I couldn't finish some times they're just so offensive. I couldn't name them though.
43. What distracts you easily when you’re reading?
Crying children
44. Favorite film adaptation of a novel?
Pride and Prejudice miniseries
45. Most disappointing film adaptation?
Can't think of one.
46. The most money I’ve ever spent in the bookstore at one time?
Well into the hundreds in college.
47. How often do you skim a book before reading it?
Does reading the jacket count? Otherwise, not often.
48. What would cause you to stop reading a book half-way through?
Lack of interest, poor plot, distraction.
49. Do you like to keep your books organized?
Kind of...but they're really all over because we don't have a huge book shelf to organize them.
50. Do you prefer to keep books or give them away once you’ve read them?
It depends on whether or not I would read/use it again or if someone I know would enjoy it.
51. Are there any books you’ve been avoiding?
Yes, Dark Night of the Soul, St. Faustina's Diary, Brideshead Revisited, Moby Dick. The Soul of the Apostolate.
52. Name a book that made you angry.
Night by Elie Wiesel
53. A book you didn’t expect to like but did?
Twilight
54. A book that you expected to like but didn’t?
Can’t think of one at the moment.
55. Favorite guilt-free, pleasure reading?
Agatha Christie
2 comments:
Interesting. Very. Interesting. I might have to do this. As if I need one more thing. Thanks (haha)!
Do it Monica, do it you know you want to!!
Post a Comment