Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Membership Assumes Participation

My dear friend Fr. Brian and I had an interesting conversation upon his visit last week. I am moved to write and think a bit more about it. We were interrupted during breakfast by a phone call from a parishioner at Immaculate Conception (the church we attend and are members of here in Kieler). She had called to inform us that Kurt and I were a lead couple in an upcoming parish fundraiser (one of many our parish does throughout the year including the 4th of July picnic and the Jamestown Fire Prevention Parade). Unbeknown to us we had been nominated and she wanted to see when we could meet with the other two couples and a single person who were to work with us. After hanging up the phone, I pleasantly explained the conversation to Fr. Brian. He said he found it interesting that at our parish membership assumed participation for certainly many places this is not the case including his own parishes. I had never thought twice about it but it is true of the parish in Kieler. As a member and a woman I am part of the Council of Catholic Women there. Not because I signed up but because I am a member and being so I was in charge of working and preparing the Christmas party for all CCW members this December. I have not been to a CCW meeting but membership in the parish assumes my participation. And certainly it is the same with this forthcoming fundraiser.

Now please don't assume that this post is a gripe on my part for it is far from it! I am more than pleased to be active in our parish and invite opportunity to do so! It just got me thinking. Wouldn't it be good in some senses that this were always true- that membership would mean participation? I think of how often that is the hope- for example when seeing a resume or hearing who's part of a group. Alas, it isn't always the case but certainly the conversation gave me much to think about.

Oh, and Fr. Brian did no know (at least from us) that we had Kate. But he had heard rumors. We are sure glad he came to confirm their validity and that he stayed to visit!

1 comment:

Julie said...

What a thought-provoking post! Thank you for sharing!