Thursday, March 14, 2013

Home Journal vol. 6

3-13-13
Outside my window: Sunny, nearly snowless, though I thought I caught on the news last night that it was a bit nippy. I haven't ventured outside my home since Saturday so I really couldn't tell you but I wouldn't mind finding out! Seems springy-er. Its amazing what a few hours north will get you though, my dad was busy plowing 9 inches of snow this Monday!

Clothing myself in: Smart-wools, Brown boots, dark blue jeans, gray top and tank (the top is maternity but still fits nice) I had on a sweater but was sweating and the finishing touch-- one of the girls just gave me a Hello Kitty sticker.

Around the house: We're recouping from having a really sick kid so though I've been trying to keep a handle on things there is a pile of unfolded laundry waiting me in the living room and some folded clothes to put away in a basket hiding in our bedroom. I think I just finished washing the last of the sheets and blankets. I've got the crock-pot on supper duty. I'll just boil up some noodles before Kurt get homes and throw a veggie in the microwave. Presto! The girls are progressively messing now that Julia is feeling better and Katie has a playmate again.

The baby: Has been as usual wonderful! He's continuing to be cheerful, easy going and such a love. I think he gets that from his dad. I was/am a bit concerned that he'd catch our in house bug but am putting hope in my antibodies and that yummy mommy milk. In the wee hours of last night I woke up panicked after he'd spit up that he was going to start throwing up. Kurt calmly reminded me that it could have been the Hoisen sauce I had with my chicken last night. I think he was right- note, lay off the Hoisen (but oh was it tasty!).

He hasn't hit any milestones of note but he turns 4 mos. this week. I still haven't got any stats on the boy but we'll finally be heading to a well child check-up next week. Barring another flu outbreak.

The kiddos: As aforementioned, Julia caught some sort of stomach bug which started with throwing up on the kitchen floor on Saturday and proceeded to escalate to throwing up quite frequently (every 20-30 min.) into the wee hours of night. God bless Kurt for taking the late hours so the baby and I could sleep. It continued on into Sunday with a high fever that hung around till Monday. Yesterday the fever went down some and we attempted to get her to start eating again (which has proven difficult). Today she's ornery and very vocal...a good sign, no fever and she hasn't thrown up in 48 hrs. Katie has been missing her sister A LOT! She's been pesky and antsy. I am glad to know how much she really enjoys her days playing with JuJu. I can't quite imagine the transition to Kindergarten when Julia will miss her undoubtedly more! She is definitely showing more signs of readiness for more learning. Her current habit is copying words/letters she sees and asking what she wrote. (Examples include- AFV (from the TV show), days of the week from the calendar, dedications and words from favorite storybooks, etc.) I also caught her sounding out letter sounds as she wrote. We made a school visit the end of February (I know, I need to post more regularly) and it went well. We'll go back again in May for an afternoon in the classroom.

Alright...I got interrupted by a child, then white smoke, then a feverish baby and now we'll try and finish it today...as the avoiding sickness did not occur and my fevering baby is currently sleeping peacefully I am not making guarantees.

In the kitchen: I made General Tao's chicken (w/ Hoisen sauce) this week for the first time. It was a modified healthier recipe from Cooks Country magazine. Yesterday we had crock-pot roast today it's become beef stew. Tomorrow something without meat.

Bringing me joy: The news of Pope Francis! It was great to share the moment of his announcement with Katie. And to celebrate as a family! Especially enjoyed Simcha Fischer's Papamoon article this a.m. Only a fever- as in the baby hasn't thrown up (yet) and this brings me copious amounts of joy. The thought of getting a haircut. Funny how just thinking about it makes me happy. I'm in that post-pregnancy stage of hair loss by the handful. I will be ecstatic to get out of the house and have someone chop it! The sacrament of Reconciliation.

Thinking about: Making a good Lent, worries about sickies, praying more often, loving my family each day to its fullest. And with that, the baby is stirring.

2013-03-13_13-37-06_632.jpg

3 comments:

Monica said...

Oh my, Katie and Gemma sound sooooo much alike, it really is incredible.

Are you excited or nervous for kindergarten? Or both?? Will it be full or half?

Angie said...

I am excited and a bit melancholy about kindergarten. It's whole day. I'll certainly miss her and am honestly not thrilled to be on the school schedule. But she's ready to learn more and we're butting heads attempting to do so here at home. The line between mom and teacher has been difficult at times for me.

Monica said...

Oh goodness, we are in the same boat then. We're still not sure if it will be full or half, they can't decide whether they are going to continue their half-day program or not. I wish they would make up their minds because I would really like to prepare. I like the idea of teaching her at home too, but we butt heads a lot as well. I just don't have a super warm-fuzzy feeling about school either, even though it is Catholic. I don't know.

Is yours a Catholic school? You can email me if you want, I'd enjoy continuing this conversation.