Saturday, February 2, 2013

Home Journal vol.5

Good Afternoon!  I'm overdue for a post.

Today out my window:  Snow and cold.  We got another dusting in the wee hours of the morning today.  Enough to make the plows come out again and I saw a car accident coming home with the kids from the grocery store.

Clothing myself in:  Khakis, blue-green long sleeved long tail tee from Duluth Trading Co.'s sale. and my neck warmer scarf (a birthday gift from Duluth Trading Co.) that's khaki and cream patterned, wool socks and sensible brown shoes.

Around the house: We're regrouping from a extended trip north to my parents house last week.  Lots of laundry, a half dozen bags of hand-me-down for the girls and Erik and the presents from our family Christmas and visits lying around.  I've also discovered Julia is definitely growing into the next size (mid-season, ugh) and am trying to sort clothes and wash our sheets- envision clothing tornado!  The kitchen doesn't look horrible though and the kids and I did master some grocery shopping this a.m. after hitting Candlemas celebration.  If I can conquer the clothing this weekend the week will look a lot brighter!

The baby:  Aw, he's such a happy fellow!  He really brightens the day for all of us.  So laid back and pretty content to just chill.  He's so 'chatty' lots of baby talk probably more than I remember coming from either of the girls this soon.  Though he's still in the needy stage it is an easier needy.   As the church ladies say, "Small kids, small problems..."

The kiddos:  Its been peaks and valleys with them the past few weeks.  I don't think I mentioned that Julia has given up her 'boo' just before Christmas.  It has been a mixed blessing.  Its great to not have to hunt for the pacifier at nap and bedtime  but we've discovered she's still so oral that EVERYTHING goes in her mouth (where once the boo prevented this).  Countless times a day I'll say, "Take that out of your mouth," or "Don't put that in your mouth," or "Please don't lick that!"
Bedtimes in general have been tough for both girls.  They are in the same room in the same bed that seems to be part of the difficulty.  I'm not sure if I want to keep battling on that front or find help to move them into separate beds and/or rooms? 
They do however have good times.  I have been REALLY amused with their imagination play.  They were playing 'birthday' the other morning and Katie opened up an Ipod 'just what she wanted!' (We don't even have an Ipod in our home.) And earlier this week I over heard them playing 'wedding Mass'  Katie was in her wedding dress and Julia, I think, was the priest.  There was a procession and singing and at one point I over heard Katie tell Julia, 'say the Lord be with you...and body of Christ.' 

In the kitchen: We're going to have a cheeseburger ring this week.  Friends gifted us one as a meal awhile back and the girls really liked it.  Also, I'm thinking pork from the freezer, a chicken (love this recipe), maybe soup with the leftovers?  I'm not sure what else- haven't really conquered the menu making.

Learning:  My friend said she'd read somewhere that having a baby in your homeschool sets you back 6 months.  I feel like that is where we're at with our home pre-school.  We're kinda doing the letter L this week (and next).  I can't seem to get on the ball with our plans and book ordering.   After making up the calendar for this month we found out that Kate will be going to visit her new school.   We'll get to meet her teacher and see the classroom where we plan to send her to Kindergarten in the fall.   Wow, that went FAST!  One other thing I wanted to mention here was that we've really enjoyed the Scholastic video series that reads/animates stories.  We just returned one featuring Mo Willems stories and a great bonus segment that taught the kids how to draw Pigeon from "Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus."  We've also gotten the one featuring Chicken and Egg stories and The Robert McClosky series.

Reading:  Just finished, The Star of Kazan;  Also, finished Eve by Anne Carey and have the next one in the series waiting for me at the library.  My mom sent me home with Girl of Fire and Thorn, which I think I'll start next.  My pile also includes the newest Kate Morton book and another YA book, I think its called Enchanted.  I had been doing awesome on keeping up with some spiritual reading, too. Unfortunately, I forgot my bag of books (including my prayer journal) at my folks when we left in a hurry, grrrr. 

Bringing me joy:  I really enjoyed our time up north with my family.  We got to do Christmas, finally!  I'd forgotten how much I LOVE ice skating.  I took the kids out on the lake and donned skates myself.  It was pure pleasure.  My SIL sent me home with a disk full of  family pictures!  And I'm also happy that Kurt's back for the weekend.  He's been taking a course this week out of town and driving back and forth, ugh.  I'm looking forward to two weekends of fun- I'm going to the Martha and Mary Conference and then toward the end of the month I'm making plans for Women's Weekend.  I think I'll be taking a bread baking class!

Thinking about: Colleen Duggan's posts-- this one and this one.  I'm also thinking about work.   Babysitters.  And being the best version of myself towards my kids and husband.  How quickly we've come to February and I'm expecting this short month to go, too fast!

Pictures to share: Well, I'm saving a few for a future post or two but here you go--

The big cousins getting ready to ice skate.

Ice skating!
Snowmobiling!  The verdict is still out as to whether Katie gets her driving skills from her Mom or Dad.
 
Cousins Erik and Isaac (born 2 months apart) meet for the first time!  Can't wait for future Christmases together!



2 comments:

Monica said...

Oh my goodness, there is a scholastic Mo Willems video?!! I think my kids (and possibly my husband as well) would be over the moon for that!!!

And oh, we have a Kdg thing this week too, big times for these girls!!

BLESSINGS!

Monica said...

Thanks for the book recommendations too. I just requested a Kate Morton. Will let you know what I think.