For G week one of the books by our author, Paul Galdone, was The Gingerbread Boy. It was definitely one of Katie's favorites. As she told the story back to me a few times. She was particularly humored by the ending (spoiler!) where the foxy fox settles in for a nap after his snack.
As a activity to go with the story we decided to try to make our own Gingerbread boys. It was tricky as I had to borrow the cookie cutter from the neighbor, guess I should put that on our list. After that, we suited up for the task. Everyone was game for helping in the baking!
| Aren't their aprons the cutest?!? |
| Katie took over the camera for a few of the pictures. She had to get a shot of my apron. |
I must say the recipe was delicious both cooked and uncooked. I honestly thought about balling up the dough and serving it as is though the final product is delicious, too. I will probably make them again at Christmastime. I had one cookie stealer in the kitchen...at least twice I caught her with cookie in hand and on the run! Rascal!!!
| "You can't catch me with the gingerbread man!" |
| Katie thought the dough was mighty tasty, too! |
Much to my delight, Katie did wonder to herself as we put the first batch in the oven if one was going to jump off the pan...and if it did, we'd definitely catch it for a snack (and if I had my way, a nap like that foxy fox!)! We all enjoyed catching the gingerbread boys- especially Daddy.
What have you done as a family to encourage literacy lately? Head on over to Work, Play, Read and link up to November's Family Literacy Challenge.
4 comments:
SO GREAT!!!! I really enjoyed this post, such fun ideas.
Your girlies are so cute.
I particularly love the running away Gingerbread girl! Thanks for linking up :)
yum!
They're sure Snyder's, my brood likes to "live on the edge" and are willing to risk the raw eggs in the cookie dough.
This is a direct quote from Sean.
Post a Comment