Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Daddy is at work.


Daily, [today starting at 7:30 a.m.] Katie will ask, "Daddy?" As in, where's my favorite guy that lives here the one that bounces on the bed with me, tickles me till I'm drunk with laughter, gives me all my favorite snacks, takes me outside and to the farm etc. ? Sometimes it can also be interpreted as, "I'd like to hang out with someone other than you, Mom." No offense taken by me because when Daddy is home I am happier, too! In the evening we'll ritually make our way to the "daddy watching" bench by the window where we wait for his return counting cars and spotting dogs, leaves, birds and neighbors. Until the long anticipated Daddy pulls in the drive.

I've gotten creative in answering the Daddy question because the first answer is most always followed by, "Why?" And because the frequency of the asking has gone up in recent weeks- they've bonded!

Here's a recent conversation on this topic--
Kate: Daddy?
Me: Daddy is at work.
Kate: Why?
Me: 'Cause someone has to bring home the bacon.
Kate: Bacon? Eat?

Tonight though, Dad is away on business and his girls miss him dearly. I am so grateful that I am not the sole parent in this house and that Daddy is so obviously such a special part of Kate's life. We'll undoubtly start our window watching for his return tomorrow earlier than usual but hopefully not as early as 7:30 a.m.

2 comments:

Julie said...

very sweet. I'm glad Katie realizes how important bacon is! :)

Monica said...

Thank GOD for our daddies, that's all I have to say!!