Sunday, July 26, 2009

A Bit of Bad Weather

I intended to post Friday but we had a bit of bad weather...which now provides me a topic to post on other than the one I'd intended.

Friday afternoon a pre-tornadic (it means no tornado but a storm that could lead to a tornado - okay you caught me making up words) storm blew through Kieler. Yikes! Kurt was called out after we finished an early supper to help with storm spotting (a volunteer firefighter's opportunity) and Katie and I headed to the basement to settle in watching reruns of the old Knightrider on RetroTV. Before we even got settled the sirens went off (to take shelter and then the power went out. We girls found our way to the matches and candles and snuggled close as the storm blew and pelted us with golf ball-tennis ball size hail. I at times thought every window upstairs would be broken when I went up. It made such a racket. I was glad to have Kurt's other scanner/radio so I got a play by play of the storm and its action in the county. After a half hour in the basement it was safe for us to go up I put Kate to bed and went to assess some of the damage. Kurt took most of these pictures.

Our antenna ended up on the neighbors roof. No t.v. for us in the near future (so long David Hasselhoff).

Kurt and a neighbor removing it from the roof.

Hail damage to the trim on our new patio door.
More hail damage all on the north side of the house; here to the dryer vent.
The window pane on the backdoor to the garage was shattered and there was a large hole in the screen.

The antenna the next morning.

Our garden...a sad day for harvesting and storing for the winter. :-(

We fared much better than some of our neighbors. These folks across the street lost three large trees. If you can distinguish the pine tree in front of their vehicle, well, there's an Explorer under it and their house behind it.

We had no power from Friday evening to Saturday afternoon. And we weren't the the only ones. There was a tree on the line in Kieler and these are shots of the powerlines as you head to Cuba City.

Yes, folks that's what a half dozen or more of the poles looked like and the rest were lying in the corn fields.

Thankfully, no one was hurt! We are certainly a little more grateful for some of the many things we've been blessed with (including insurance).

3 comments:

Meredith said...

Oh wow! I'm glad you're okay....what an experience. And oh, the sadness of all that garden work gone to the wind.

Greenberg said...

Yikes!!! I am glad that you are all safe...

Paula said...

I'm so glad your family is okay! I guess storms don't happen only on Memorial Day in Kieler...at least I know I'm not bad luck! Love you:)