Saturday, February 14, 2009

Happy St. Valentine's Day

Katie was busy this week making Valentines for family and friends. I was inspired by some of my friends to assist in her little craft project. Here is the recipe Rachael shared for homemade, child safe (edible) finger paint.

Finger Paint
Stir 4 tablespoons of sugar and 1/2 c. cornstarch together; add 2 c. cold water and heat over medium heat until the mixture is thick. The mixture will further thicken as it cools. Divide into four or more containers for coloring. Add food coloring as desired. We used freezer paper to paint on.


This is what it looks like coming off of the stove before the food coloring.
Here's the colored 'paint'.

And as you can see, it smears on freezer paper quite nicely.

Here's the Picasso herself enjoying this hands-on activity.

Ooo, pretty!

She really got into the smearing part!

And of course we had to taste it since it is edible. I must admit, I tasted it too. Not so yummy but it could have been worse.

Voila! The finished product with cutting and pasting done by Mom. They turned out really cute.

Happy Valentine's Day from the Snyders

7 comments:

Monica said...

Oooooh, those are pretty!! And thanks for the shout-out!!!

Julie said...

No painter's smock for Katie! You're such a smart mom! :)

Angie said...

I'm sure some day she'll be scandalized at the topless shots. But it saved me the clean up and laundry, I do enough of that anyway.

Angie said...

Plus, I don't have a smock for her, yet and she'd have drowned in dad's shirt. ;-)

The Lawson Crew said...

Thanks for the great paint idea - we'll have to try it out!

Ann said...

Gramma and Great-Gramma laughed at these pictures!

Ann said...

Great pictures!