
What good is a blog if you can't do a little name dropping? This day, 83 years ago, my Gramma Gelhaus was born. This is what I know of her birth story...born February 1, 1926 in Sturgeon Bay, WI to Ella Mae Moore and Henry Rubert Hitt. Helen Ruby Hitt was named by her dad. And the way it sounds her mom had another name picked out! She was one of 10 children in the Hitt family. Later in life she met and married my grandpa Ed Gelhaus. They had 6 kids one of them being my mom. Gramma Gelhaus lives in Medford, WI and still keeps VERY busy for 83. She works part time at Corey Ins. as their receptionist. She volunteers at the local schools, with the mentally and physically handicapped, at church with the funeral dinners and of course at her local library as the "Cover Girl". Gramma Helen enjoys gardening, particularly tomatoes (she makes a mean salsa!), she likes crocheting and knitting, reading and word games, coffee and her Catholic faith. Her favorite shows are Survivor and The Amazing Race. (She participated in a family version of Amazing Race for her birthday a few years back- taking her to Texas and California.) She loves to travel visiting places like Ireland, London, Rome and Guatemala. I am so glad to know her and really have enjoyed getting to know her more with each passing year. Her stories and laughter are priceless. And she is a wonderful woman who I love to visit with over coffee and Scrabble or dominos.
Yesterday we celebrated her birthday with a Transformer cake (I wish I had pictures- it was requested by my 3 year old nephew) but Katie slept through the whole thing and then we headed home. So, Katie and Gramma didn't even get to visit! Kate especially loves her Great Gramma. Gramma made her a special poncho and loves to hold her and make her smile! And so today, on her birthday we wanted to wish her the best and many more birthdays to come. WE LOVE YOU GRAMMA! Kisses and Hugs from all of us here in Kieler- Kurt, Ang and Katie
3 comments:
Your Grandma is a great lady, I'm so glad that we have the opportunity to know her. She reminds me so much of my grandma that passed away in November. Another special lady that I miss terribly, but my faith tells me she is happy and at peace with Jesus now.
Happy 83rd Birthday Helen!
Happy B-day Grandma! I love the life story & ADORABLE pics of Katie holding the B-day sign!
-Love the Lawsons
Hi Angie! I found you here. What a beautiful little girl you have.
You can find me at www.greathomework.blogspot.com. Simon is 19 months, and Isaac will be 4 in May. Wow.
Post a Comment